Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Italian Lemonade

With the hot temperatures we’ve experienced lately, it appears that we may be in for a long, sweltering summer. I can’t think of a better way to stay cool than with a cold, refreshing beverage. The next recipe I’d like to share is for Italian Lemonade. I know…I was a bit skeptical at first when I read it. Who’s ever heard of flavoring a drink with basil? I definitely hadn’t! However, I was hosting an “Italian themed” Pampered Chef party at my house not long ago and wanted a drink that matched the fare. So I began researching online and found the recipe below on The Food Network’s website. I served the drink at the party and it was a HUGE hit. So here it is…


Italian Lemonade

2 cups lemon juice, about 12 to 15 lemons (I use bottled lemon juice rather than squeezing all those lemons)
2 cups Basil Simple Syrup (see recipe below)
2 cups cold or sparkling water
Ice
Lemon twists, for garnish

Mix lemon juice, Basil Simple Syrup, and water together in a pitcher. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Pour over ice filled glasses and garnish with a lemon twist.

Basil Simple Syrup:
1 bunch fresh basil, washed and stemmed
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
In a saucepan combine basil, sugar, and water and simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Cool, strain the simple syrup, and store in the refrigerator.


I would highly recommend using sparkling water over regular cold water. It gives the drink an extra zing! If you wish to forgo the “Italian” in the lemonade, prepare the recipe as directed above, but omit the basil. And, if you’re feeling frisky, add your favorite vodka to the beverage for an extra treat!



**Weekly Tip: I like to always keep a box of Bisquick baking mix on hand. I make pancakes and biscuits from the recipes on the box on a regular basis. They are always consistent and tasty. I also have a Bisquick cookbook, and there are a plethora of recipes that can be prepared from the mix, including one of my favorites, chicken pot pie. And, I like to use half Bisquick and half flour when I am chicken-frying anything. It makes the crust more flavorful, flakey, and golden-brown.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic recipe! Everyone I've shared it with loves it. The basil syrup and the sparkling water are a perfect combination with the lemon juice. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete